Things every Beginner should know about CodeIgniter
CodeIgniter is a free, open-source, easy-to-use, object-oriented PHP web application framework. It also proves a ready to use the library for use with your PHP applications.
Building a web application makes you write the same code, again and again, gobbling up a lot of your development time. Frameworks such as CodeIgniter provide a starting block and minimize the amount of code required to build a website. Being Opensource reduces cost hence many custom web development companies use CI for developing websites. CodeIgniter is PHP driven framework for sure but it is definitely not its substitute. The interface is very simple and user-friendly and a logical structure to access libraries, plug-ins, and helpers. CodeIgniter is very easy me to install. So before you jump into PHP Framework let’s get to know what you need to do before starting.
- It requires 4.3.2 or any newer updated version.
- It requires one of the following databases MySQL, MySQLi, MS SQL, ODBC, Oracle, Postgre or SQLite. Mostly proffered is MySQL but it’s good that it supports other big names.
- The best part is CodeIgniter is a freeware, an Opensource framework. This means you can download and use it for free.
- Try to follow the MVC structure as this serves as the basis for all most frameworks out there. CI also follows the MVC structure.
- Use controllers to write your Logic. Database queries in Model and HTML in Views.
- While starting a CI Project, begin by defining your project’s site configuration. This helps in keeping a clear idea of a site’s configuration will be throughout the project.
- Defining your common libraries, models, and helpers in application/config/autoload.php file will be very helpful as they will be required throughout the site. This helps in avoiding the overhead for including them every time you write a new controller. This smoothes the process of custom web development and improves productivity.
- Use Libraries and helpers already available in CI. They are highly secure and can save a lot of coding time for our own security code. Why write something which is already available and more secure. Custom web development companies use already existing libraries and add additional security to that code if needed.
- CI’s validation library possesses inbuilt XSS and MySql injection vulnerability prevention ability, use them for form validation.
- When you are just starting out read the Dedicated PHP Developers guide as a CI user’s guide carefully.
You will be able to create web applications with additional features and high-end functionalities by using in-built resource and libraries of the CodeIgniter. You will be able to find out the errors in programming codes and fix-up the issues instantly in the web applications. CI will help you to create both front-end and rear-end of a web application effectively and easily in a secured manner.